September 18, 2009

GAMEDAY: Boykin He run!

Georgia's Brandon Boykin returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown last Saturday in the Bulldogs' 41-37 win over South Carolina. He also made an interception that led to a touchdown drive. Needless to say the kid deserves some accolades. He was chosen as the cover story for this week's Gameday section. The sports editor tossed out a possible headline idea I liked: "Boykin He Run."
I decided to go with something experimental for the shoot. I knew I wanted to do a long exposure with motion blur and some flame highlights to express Boykin's speed. I took some primitive test shots in the studio of fellow photog Tricia using a lighter. They looked like dog crap (of course with the exception of my lovely model). I needed more lighters and with bigger flames. I ran to wal-mart between back to back assignments before the Gameday cover shoot. I bought a couple different kinds of grill lighters and the weekly Gameday madness commenced. After much stressing and racing from an Alpaca farm I ended up with more than enough time to set up and figure out what I was going to do due to a late practice. Red & Black (UGA student run newspaper) photographer Daniel Shirey was also shooting Boykin for their football section cover. They had us both set up in the team's meeting room which worked out well as we were able to help each other. There are now in existence some incredibly ridiculous pictures of me catching a football and pretending to wear Boykin's jersey.
Then the star of the week showed up and was one of the nicest Bulldogs I've met. He was even game for me bringing blazing lighters close enough to feel the heat. In post I brought the flames closer in and combined some of my best flames from different frames. Gameday 4 is in the books.


Photobucket
Georgia cornerback Brandon Boykin returned a kickoff for 100 yards against South Carolina to set a Georgia record for longest return.
(this version is cropped and missing the "Uga" from the background)

Photobucket
Design layout by assistant sports editor Chad Clark

Check out the rest of the GAMEDAY.

No comments: