October 24, 2009

GAMEDAY: Head Games

Gameday strikes again, at least in newsprint form. Even on the bye week we churn out a Gameday special section. The assistant sports editor has done illustrations the last two weeks and the break has been nice, but I was happy to have a challenge again. After Tim Tebow's concussion played out for the nation to see the issue has been at the forefront of sports news. This week the cover story focused on the dangers of concussions in football.
The image that came to me first was an x-ray of a skull and brain inside of a helmet. Then I thought it would look cool to do that using a real action shot. I scoured a recent game for a picture of two players helmet to helmet. I cut them out, pasted them on a shot of tiny fan dots in the stadium, and inverted the colors to give it that x-ray look. Then I dug up a skull and brain x-ray and worked some photoshop magic.


Photobucket


Photobucket
Design layout by Chad Clark

No comments: