October 17, 2009

PREPS: Gear failure #7,068,599

Friday night had me in Loganville for a Region 8-AAAA showdown between the undefeated Apalachee Wildcats (6-0) and the defending Region champs the Loganville Red Devils (4-2). I got bad news Thursday when I found out one of our 300mm lens had a problem and was sent off. The other two long lenses would be going to Nashville with my coworkers for the Georgia/Vandy game. So I was left with no long glass to shoot high school ball. I wasn't happy. I haven't shot football without at least a 300mm since my days at the Times-Georgian in Carrollton, Ga. where I only had my own equipment to use. I felt rusty out there as my normal shooting style was disrupted by the limitations of my lens. I had to stay close to the line of scrimmage as much as possible so the players didn't look like tiny action figures in the photos. This resulted in getting backsides for 3 or 4 break away touchdowns.

Photobucket
The Apalachee Wildcats with coach Shane Davis get ready to take the field to face Loganville Red Devils before their 42-41 overtime win Friday Oct. 16, 2009, in Loganville.

101609_fb_ap_ANSLEY_kl
Apalachee's John Ansley is drug down by Loganville's Scott Miles in the 1st quarter.

101609_fb_StormJohnson_kl
Loganville's Storm Johnson breaks away for a touchdown in the first half.

101609_fb_ap_ANSLEY2_kl
Apalachee's John Lee narrowly misses a pass with coverage by Loganville's Scott Miles in the first.

101609_fb_ap_coachDAVIS_kl
Apalachee coach Shane Davis screams to the field.

Photobucket
Apalachee's Jon Lee takes down Loganville's Storm Johnson in the first half.

The game was a full on slug fest until the very end. I wanted to stay the whole game, but my laptop wouldn't communicate with our crappy wireless card so I knew I'd have to make the hour + drive back to the paper to turn in my pics. I called the desk and told them I could leave at halftime and make my 10:30 deadline or stay later and miss it. They opted I stay as late as possible since it was such a close game. I stayed until Apalachee scored a 4th quarter touchdown taking the Wildcats lead to 37-25 with only a minute and a half left on the clock. I had to leave to beat the traffic thinking I had the game-clinching TD and that the Wildcats had it wrapped up.

Photobucket
Apalachee's A.J. Lotsspeich intercepts a pass intended for Loganville's Desean Ledbetter setting up the Wildcats for a touchdown drive in the first half.

101609_fb_ap_interception3_kl
Apalachee's A.J. Lotsspeich runs off the field in celebrating his interception.

101609_fb_ap_interception2_kl
Apalachee's A.J. Lotsspeich is surrounded by teammates after making an interception in the first half.

101609_fb_ap_LEEjube4_kl
Apalachee's Jon Lee, right,celebrates with teammate Nelson Gibson after scoring a touchdown .

101609_fb_log_TD2_kl
Loganville's Clay Garner catches a pass for a touchdown with coverage by Apalachee's A.J. Lotspeich late in the 2nd quarter.

101609_fb_log_TD_kl
Loganville's Clay Garner, center, celebrates with teammates after scoring a touchdown late in the 2nd quarter.

Photobucket
Apalachee's Zack Gentry is tackled by Loganville's Scott Miles.

101609_fb_ap_LEE-TD_kl
Apalachee's Jon Lee cruises into the endzone for the Wildcats' final touchdown taking their lead to 35-27 over Loganville Friday Oct. 16, 2009, in Loganville.


101609_fb_ap_LEEjube_kl
Apalachee's Jon Lee, right,celebrates with teammate Nelson Gibson after scoring the Wildcats' 4th quarter touchdown taking their lead to 35-27 over Loganville Friday Oct. 16, 2009, in Loganville.

101609_fb_ap_LEEjube3_kl
Apalachee's Jon Lee, right, celebrates with teammate Nelson Gibson after scoring a touchdown in the Wildcats' 42-41 overtime win over Loganville Friday Oct. 16, 2009, in Loganville.

I made it back to the paper in record time and filed before 11:30. Then I found out that the Loganville Red Devils had scored a touchdown and 2-point conversion in that final 90 seconds to send the game into overtime! The Wildcats still came out with a 42-41 victory after scoring a touchdown and stopping the Red Devils on a 2-point conversion attempt. I was bummed I'd missed such an exciting conclusion just because of wireless card issues. Our laptops, lenses, and cameras have had major issues all football season. There are already a zillion obstacles in getting the shot in this field ranging from ref ass to backfocus. The last thing we need are equipment failures game after game. ARRRGH!!

No comments: