January 30, 2010

UGA vs. UT: High Hoops

I'm approaching my last week as a staff photographer with the Athens Banner-Herald. I turned in my two week notice Tuesday after months of agonizing over the direction to take with my life and career. In a few short weeks I'll be moving back to my hometown in Alabama to join my family's business and freelance on the side. As hard as it is for me to leave the people and things I love about this job and city it is time for me to make a change.
I've wanted to shoot basketball from the catwalk at Stegeman Coliseum for a couple years now. I knew time was running out last Saturday when I covered the Georgia vs. Tennessee men's game so I took the opportunity to experience some high hoops. After climbing to the top of the coliseum, up two ladders, and making my way across the shaky gridded catwalk I discovered very quickly that I hadn't thought of something very important. The buzzer which sounds probably 100 times a game was just a couple feet from my head as I leaned over to shoot the action below. Within minutes my head was pounding and I even thought my ears might be bleeding! I only stayed up high for half the game, returning to the safety of the ground with one of the worst headaches of my life. If there is a next time you better believe I'll be sporting some high quality earplugs. I'm glad I did it though. I don't want to leave anything behind that I wish I did.


012310_bbm_uga_huddle_kl
Georgia coach Mark Fox gives a pep talk to his players before the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory over Tennessee Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_Jackson_kl
Georgia's Albert Jackson , left, and Tennessee's Kenny Hall go up for the tip-off in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_PRICE_kl
Georgia's Jeremy Price dunks over Tennessee's Sklyar McBee (13) in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_defense_kl
Georgia's Chris Barnes, left, and Trey Thompkins defend a shot by Tennessee's Wayne Chism in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_BARNES3_kl
Georgia's Chris Barnes is surrounded by a pack of Tennessee defenders as they try to wrestle the ball away in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_tn_Pearl_kl
Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl yells to the court in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_Thompkins_kl
Georgia's Trey Thompkins dunks in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum. Thompkins led the Bulldogs with 21 points and 8 rebounds.

012310_bbm_tn_Chism_kl
Tennessee's Wayne Chism receives medical attention on the hardwoods in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_timeout_kl
Georgia gathers around coach Mark Fox during a timeout in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_ugaVtn_kl
Tennessee's Bobby Maze, top, and Georgia's Jeremy Price, left, watch as the ball rolls into the basket for 2 Georgia points in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_Thompkins3_kl
Georgia's Trey Thompkins dunks in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum. Thompkins led the Bulldogs with 21 points and 8 rebounds.

012310_bbm_uga_PRICE3_kl
Georgia's Jeremy Price, right, knocks away a shot by Tennessee's Scotty Hopson in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_ugaVtn2_kl
Tennesse's J.P. Prince, left, shows frustration with teammate Kenny Hall after a missed opportunity in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_PRICE2_kl
Georgia's Jeremy Price dunks in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_jube_kl
Georgia's Jeremy Price, top, is greeted by teammates Dustin Ware, left, and Travis Leslie after dunking the ball in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_BARNES_kl
Georgia's Chris Barnes, center, battles for a rebound with Tennessee's Wayne Chism in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_LESLIE2_kl
Georgia's Travis Leslie and Tennessee's Scotty Hopson (32) battle for a rebound in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_fan_kl
An enthusiastic Georgia fan covered in peanut butter cheers during the second half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory over Tennesee Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_HairyDawg_kl
Georgia mascot Hairy Dawg gives a piggyback ride to a Dance Dawg in the first half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_BARNES2_kl
Georgia's Chris Barnes (4) goes up for a shot with Tennessee's Wayne Chism (4) defending in the second half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_WARE_kl
Georgia's Dustin Ware is fouled by Tennessee's Bobby Maze in the second half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_tn_Pearl2_kl
Tennessee head coach Bruce Pearl yells to the court in the second half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

012310_bbm_uga_LESLIE_kl
Georgia's Travis Leslie (1) dunks over Tennessee's Steven Pearl (22) in the second half of the Bulldogs' 78-63 victory Saturday at Stegeman Coliseum.

No comments: