February 04, 2010

UGA vs. ARK: Home Sweet Stegeman

I'm starting to feel like I live at Stegeman Coliseum. I spent 2 hours there this afternoon for a Signing Day press conference and then about 4 hours for men's hoops against Arkansas tonight. I'll be spending Friday evening there for a Gym Dogs meet and back for more basketball Saturday night for what will be my last Athens Banner-Herald assignment. Then I'll be there again Sunday for a women's basketball game I'm shooting for AP. As I approach the end of my time in Athens I've started looking at my surroundings through a sentimental filter, including good ole Stegeman. Soon I will have to say goodbye to the community of photographers I've gotten to know there. I'll have my last pre-game conversation with Diana, the lady that guards the tunnel. I'll sit on the hardwoods, inches from the action, for one last game with no guarantee I'll ever find my way back there in any arena. This is a tremendously scary time for me. I'm trading in doing my passion full-time so that I have the chance to experience more life, rather than just documenting it.
During the bball game tonight an Arkansas player ran full force for a ball bouncing out of bounds and had to do some acrobatics in the air to miss plowing into me. I was already bracing for the hit when suddenly he was soaring above me. I felt like I'd been given a gift. It reminded me that for now I'm ready to hang up being on the photo frontlines everyday.

020310_bbm_ugaVark01_kl
Georgia's Jeremy Price scores 2 points over Arkansas' Glenn Bryant in the first half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss to Arkansas Wednesday Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

020310_bbm_ugaVark02_kl
Georgia's Ricky McPhee breaks away from Arkansas' Julysses Nobles to score 2 points in the first half Wednesday Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia's Chris Barne fights for an opening in the first half. The Arkansas Razorbacks beat the Georgia Bulldogs 72-68 Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
The Georgia Dance Dogs perform during a timeout in the second half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Arkansas' Marshawn Powell pulls in a rebound before Georgia's Albert Jackson (34) in the 2nd half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia's Trey Thompkins dunks over Arkansas' Marshawn Powell in the second half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia's Albert Jackson dunks in the second half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia fans in colorful full body leotards cheer on the Bulldogs in the second half of their 72-68 loss to Arkansas Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Arkansas' Mike Washington dunks past Georgia's Zlovaric Drazen in the second half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia's Jeremy Price fouls Arkansas' Marshawn Powell in the second half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia's Dustin Ware is fouled in the second half of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
The Arkansas bench can taste victory in the final seconds of the Razorbacks 72-68 win over the Georgia Bulldogs Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia players from left Drazen Zlovaric, Albert Jackson, Chris Barnes, and Jeremy Price watch in the final minutes of the Bulldogs' 72-68 loss to Arkansas Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

Arkansas Georgia Basketball
Georgia coach Mark Fox shows his distress as the Bulldogs' lead is diminished in the 2nd half of their 72-68 loss to Arkansas Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2010, at Stegeman Coliseum.

No comments: