November 21, 2009

Propane Wars

I had one of the coolest assignments I've had all year this week. I spent a misty Wednesday night with Barrow County and Winder firefighters as they trained to battle propane fires. Capt. Bryan Bullock offered me the chance to suit up and get as close as I wanted. I opted to keep my distance considering they don't make fire helmets for D300s. I still got close enough to feel the heat and to make some beautiful frames. Fire is just so dang gorgeous.

111809_PropaneFire5_kl
Barrow County and Winder firefighters train to battle propane fires during a session offered by the Georgia Fire Academy Wednesday Nov. 18, 2009. The training took place at Winder Fire Station No. 2 with propane donated by Amerigas, Vigas and Gas Inc.

111809_PropaneFire13_kl

111809_PropaneFire16_kl

111809_PropaneFire23_kl

111809_PropaneFire18_kl

111809_PropaneFire11_kl

111809_PropaneFire17_kl

111809_PropaneFire9_kl

111809_PropaneFire29_kl

4 comments:

The Robust Buffet said...

very cool shots Kelly. I'd like to know what settings you used to capture the detail in what seems to be a difficult situation to shoot.

Kelly Lambert said...

Thank you! These shots were taken with 3 different lenses with slightly different settings for each. The most detail (like in the top picture) came from my nikon 50mm lens. I shot most of those at ISO 400, f/4 or lower and a shutter speed of around 1/800. The tight detail shots were taken with my 70-200mm at f/2.8 around 1/160. The wide shots were taken with a 12-24mm at f/4 with varying shutter speeds depending on how dark the flames are.

Tommy said...

nice stuff Kelly, it's cool they did it after dark, when I shot propane fire training here a couple months ago it was still light out, didn't look as dramatic.

Kelly Lambert said...

Thanks Tommy! It was definitely a cool assignment. It was also misty and a little foggy out which added something to a few of the frames.