November 05, 2009

staying fresh

Last week I had the pleasure of shooting a sportrait of the four new freshman Georgia gymnasts. The Gym Dogs' Sneak Peek exhibition event is only about a month away and their season starts in early January. Yay!!! I love shooting gymnastics and by then will be eager for the change from what feels like 24/7 football. It will be interesting covering the Gym Dogs this year. They are coming off of 5 straight National Championships and a NCAA record breaking 10th overall title. On top of that their legendary head coach Suzanne Yoculan peaced out at the top of her game leaving the team to long-time associate head coach Jay Clark. Also, super star gymnasts Tiffany Tolnay and Courtney Kupets graduated and will be back as volunteer coaches. Even more so the Gym Dogs beat writer, my partner in crime, and co-worker left the paper this summer. So many changes! The only thing that won't be different it seems is me. I need to find new ways to shoot this year to keep my work fresh. I already started to feel I'd tried every angle and lens by the end of last season. I've shot wide, I've shot tight, I've shot from the stands, I've shot while laying on the ground, and heck I've even shot from overhead on the catwalk! What next...

102909_gym_Freshmen2_kl
Georgia freshmen gymnast from left Christa Tanella, Shayla Worley,
Noel Couch and Kati Breazeal

No comments: