August 08, 2009

FOTOBALL: 25 sportraits

During the football season the ABH photo staff shoots 4-5 prep sportraits a week. On Monday there is Player of the Week, then usually 2-3 features spread through the rest of the week, and a weekly Q & A called "Hangin' With." Occasionally we use file art from games, but more often than not we go out to get portraits. It is no secret that I love shooting sportraits. The biggest challenge is coming up with fresh ideas for such a high volume of shoots.
There are a couple different paths I take to arrive at my end result. Sometimes I just don't think about it until I'm on my way to the athlete's school. I come up with some rough ideas, but once I'm there looking around my surroundings I often completely change course. Then there are times when I have done meticulous planning including sketches and know the exact concept I want to execute.With my more risky ideas (as in it might suck) I shoot a safe shot as well. I never know when I'm going to have 20 minutes or 2 minutes so an idea for a quick shot is also important because I might not have time to carry out something complicated. Some definitely turn out better than others, but its all in a day's work.


110107 fb_oc_Ripley_kl
Oconee County High School football player Chaz Ripley

081507 cs_TMcGuire01BW_kl
Cedar Shoals High School
Trent McGuire

082808_fb_aa_Harris02_kl
Athens Academy defensive back William Harris




111407_fb_CedarSENIORS_kl
Cedar Shoals seniors from left Trent McGuire, Taylor Pass, and Hykeem Hall

100207 fb_ccWilson_kl
Clarke Central's John Wilson ran an interception in for a touchdown in the Gladiators' game against Madison County Friday night.

091207 fb_aa_Callaway2_kl
Athens Academy running back Will Callaway

080808_fb_ac_Beacham_kl
Athens Christian QB Tyson Beacham


092408_fb_qbs_kl
Athens Academy QB Will Daniel, left, and Prince Avenue QBs Bobo Marshall and Taylor Clark


092508_fb_cc_BATTLE_kl
Clarke Central running back Reggie Battle

091808_fb_og_Perlotte01_kl
Oglethorpe County QB A.J. Perlotte

102108_fb_quarterbacks_kl
Clarke Central quarterback John Wilson, left, and Cedar Shoals quarterback Rashad Dalton

090507 cc_Evans_kl
Clarke Central's quarterback Beau Evans


101508_fb_ap_GRESHAM_kl
Apalachee lineman Chaun Gresham

111208_fb_cc_Derricotte_kl
Clarke Central's leading tackler Devante Derricotte


101608_fb_aa_STILESbros_kl
Former Athens Academy linebacker and current lay coach Nick Stiles will try to help his brother, linebacker Hunter Stiles, achieve what he couldn't - winning a Class A state title.

110308_fb_ap_LEE2_kl
Apalachee runningback John Lee

111908_fb_cs_Dline01_kl
Cedar Shoals defensive linemen from left Torrence Callaway, Charmarcus Pittard, and Caleb Miles

081507 ac_JGriffith_kl
Athens Christian
Jacob Griffith


082608_fb_cc_Jones01_kl
Clarke Central running back Drew Jones


090408_fb_ap_runningbacks_kl
Apalachee's John Ansley, Christian Hord, Jon Lee, and Billy Mannis


082208_fb_je_Crosby_kl
Jefferson's Zac Crosby was injured in a car accident, but will ikely start the Dragon's first game.

103007 fb_no_Pinkerton_kl
North Oconee High School kicker Michael Pinkerton


120407_AthensAcademyDUO_kl
Athens Academy's McKay Matthews and James Colquitt both made interceptions in their state quarterfinals win against the Brookstone Cougars last Friday.


111308_fb_no_WHITLOCK_kl
North Oconee's Brandon Whitlock


Photobucket
Jefferson football players from left Virgil Appleby, Zac Crosby, and Tab Martin


1 comment:

Kristin L. Walters said...

I love the colors in the last pic.