August 16, 2009

the kiss of controversy

I had another trying day in the life of a photojournalist. I started my Saturday at 1:15 to be at a "Kiss-in" for gay rights in downtown Athens that was happening at exactly 2:00 p.m. The event was spurred by recent incidents in El Paso and Salt Lake City involving homosexual couples being harassed or detained by law enforcement simply for kissing in public. I got there early as usual to stake out the situation and as I was coming down steps at the University of Georgia's famous Arch I managed to trip myself up and take a small tumble. Luckily I didn't break any equipment, but managed to twist my ankle to the point that it's swollen and I'm still limping. Then during the kiss several people stood in front of said Arch for the photo op kiss who didn't actually kiss. Instead they stared into my camera. Also, somebody let their kid climb up on the arch and he also stared into my camera. If you are a photojournalist, you know, random people staring into your camera RUINS your pictures.

The rest of my afternoon was spent working on a painstaking video that I knew I wouldn't finish until after my 7 o'clock softball game. Before I left I went to put my one lesbian kiss photo that didn't have people staring at the camera into the system only to have it shot down. It was determined that it was too controversial for the paper. I understood and respected the decision, but was incredibly frustrated for a plethora of reasons. The number one reason was because of the fact that if it was a hetero couple it would be no thang. The second reason was because I started my day so early, knowing I had a long night ahead of me.

Defeated, I hobbled out to the softball game. I managed to get a picture I liked so felt a little better. My good spirits quickly diminished after editing softball and getting back to work on my video. Before I knew it it was almost 1 a.m. and I still wasn't home. The day had turned into a 12 hour day. I conclude this long winded complaint with the acknowledgment that despite the ups and downs of my job it is hard for me to imagine doing anything else. I think I thrive in this crazy environment. Guess that makes me a little crazy.

Here is the kiss of controversy.


Photobucket
Alma Kaempf, left, and Lauren Haygood, a lesbian couple, take part in a "Kiss-in" event to express their equal rights to kiss in a public place Saturday, Aug. 14, 2009, in front of the Arch in downtown Athens. Recently, in El Paso and Salt Lake City, gay couples were harassed or detained by law enforcement or other people for the simple act of kissing in a public place.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I know, sometimes I show up to an event, and there's some loudmouth that tells everyone to stop what they are doing and "SMILE at the lady with the camera!" What's worse- people who tell you what you need to shoot and how to shoot it. Gahh!

Kelly Lambert said...

I feel ya sista. How about when you have this really cute kid moment in your frame and suddenly your subject's mother helicopters in demanding the child to say cheese for the camera. I really wish I could start a campaign reviving the idea that if you look into a camera your soul will be stolen.

Richard Hamm said...

I can only imagine the ignorant comments if they had run this photo.

Beautiful frame.

Kristin L. Walters said...

That kid looks like he's really enjoying the show.