August 15, 2009

FOTOBALL: melon mayhem

Yesterday the Bulldogs had their annual watermelon feast after practice. I rushed from a high school football practice 40 minutes away to get there and as usual, like any event involving Georgia football, it got started about an hour after the projected time. I didn't mind too much though because I got to hang out with my homeboys Sports Information Director Leland Barrow and Red & Black photographer Daniel Shirey. The only problem with all that waiting was the giant pile of work I had to get done back at the office. It turned out I wasn't done wasting my time.

Once things got started it was pretty funny seeing those big guys digging face first in huge chunks of watermelon. They were like little kids getting good and messy. After a whole afternoon in the heat I just had to have a piece myself as I was leaving. It was delicious, but left me coated in sticky juice.

I made the journey down the football field, around the stadium, lugging my gear up 4 flights of stairs, and out the gate to my car. Except, that is only what I expected to do. When I got to the gate I had entered through, it was locked with a heavy chain to reinforce it. Instead of doing the smart thing and heading back to where I came from I proceeded to walk all the way around the entire stadium trying to find an unlocked gate. Nope, all locked. I looked down on the field and it appeared to be completely cleared. I started imagining spending the night on a bleacher as I realized with panic that my cell phone was in the car. I booked it back to where I started and was overjoyed to see Leland and his family were just making their way out. I got out with them to my relief, then headed up four flights of stairs that were on the other side of the gate, and finally made it to my car. I was utterly beat. This is a reminder that behind every picture is a whole lot of waiting, walking, stair climbing, sweat, and occasionally sticky watermelon juice.


Photobucket
Georgia football players head towards a table of watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia's Nick Williams, left, and Darryl Gamble dig in to watermelon from the Coggin family after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia football players enjoy watermelon from the Coggin family after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia left tackle Trinton Sturdivant takes a big bite of watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia football players have a watermelon seed spitting contest after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia's Nick Williams digs in to some watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia flanker Vernon Spellman enjoys some watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia football players eat watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia centers Ben Jones, left, and Kevin Perez enhale watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

Photobucket
Georgia's Reshad Jones eyes his watermelon after practice Friday, Aug. 14, 2009, at Sanford Stadium.

1 comment:

Kristin L. Walters said...

I see you got to shoot the watermelon day after all. ;)