August 25, 2009

PREPS: stormy softball

I shot a rivalry softball game last weekend between the North Oconee Lady Titans and Oconee County Lady Warriors. I couldn't remember the last high school softball game I had shot. At my last paper I shot them almost every week during the season, but we cover softball much less at the ABH. It is something I would like to see change, but we are just so understaffed it is almost impossible. I had forgotten how much fun high school softball is. The athletes were friendly, making me feel welcome in their dugout.
A storm was rolling in at the start of the game making for an incredible sky. A catcher was warming up in a patch of sunlight and as I was shooting her a wild throw came barreling towards me. She had to lunge to stop the ball and quickly told me not to worry she'd protect me. It was very sweet. I remember a time when a foul ball came my way in a baseball dugout. An entire line-up worth of guys jumped out of the way and the ball ricocheted off the wall by my head and found my mouth. No protection there. The coach yelled at them for not stopping it before I had been hit. Bloody mouthed I shot the rest of the game and ever since I've had a serious fear of getting hit again. I felt safe though, in the North Oconee Lady Titans' dugout, these girls had my back.


081509_sb_ocVnc1_kl
North Oconee catcher Danielle Smith warms up before the first game of the season against the Oconee Warriors Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.

081509_sb_nc_feet_kl

081509_sb_ocVnc6_kl
The North Oconee Lady Titans cheer as teammates are announced before their first game of the season against the Oconee Count Warriors Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.

081509_sb_ocVnc8_kl
The Oconee Co. Lady Warriors line-up to sing the National Anthem cheer before their first game of the season against the North Oconee Lady Titans Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.


081509_sb_nc_Garrett_kl

081509_sb_nc_Bryom_kl
North Oconee 2nd baseman J. Watson, left, and shortstop L. Bailey collide while fielding a ball in the Lady Titans' loss to Oconee Co. Saturday, Aug. 16, 2009.

081509_sb_oc_poole_kl
Oconee County pitcher Corrtney Poole pulls back a pitch in the Warriors' first game of the season against the North Oconee Titans Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.

081509_sb_oc_Green1_kl_kl
Oconee County coach Michelle Green, former Georgia assistant, looks on as her Warriors face the North Oconee Titans in the first game of the season Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.

081509_sb_nc_Watson_kl
North Oconee's second baseman J. Watson, left , and shortstop L. Bailey collide while fielding a ball in the Lady Titans' loss to Oconee Co. Saturday, Aug. 16, 2009.

081509_sb_oc_HOGG_kl
Oconee County's Caitlyn Hogg slides safely across homeplate as North Oconee pitcher Kayla Bryom makes a late tag in the first game of the season Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.

081509_sb_nc_Bryom2_kl
North Oconee pitcher Kayla Byrom


081509_sb_ocVnc7_kl
Oconee County's Caitlyn Glenn slides across homeplate as North Oconee pitcher Kayla Bryom stands helpless as the catcher chases down a loose ball in the first game of the season Saturday, Aug. 15, 2009, in Bogart.